Appalachian Health Graduate Fellowship Program
The Community and Economic Development Initiative of Kentucky (CEDIK) at the University of Kentucky is pleased to administer a new two-year Fellowship program for students from Appalachia that are enrolled in graduate education in a health field. The fellowships are awarded for two years, for a total of $20,000 ($10,000 will be awarded in the fall of each academic year). Applicants must have a permanent address in Appalachia^ and demonstrate clear intention to return to Appalachia to pursue a health career.
Those awarded a fellowship will be expected to virtually attend quarterly mentoring sessions with CEDIK staff. Awardees will also be expected to provide a short written reflection at the end of each fellowship year.
The fellowships are funded by a generous gift from The New York Community Trust.
The application period for this fellowship has ended. Please check back in early 2025 for the next application round.
To be considered for the fellowship, the following materials need to be postmarked by March 17th, 2023 to the address below:
1. The application form.
2. Evidence of acceptance to an accredited institution in a full-time post-graduate program of study in one of the following health care fields: medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, and nursing.
3. College transcripts (both current and completed programs) AND professional exam scores.
4. Three letters of recommendation. (Two need to be from post-secondary faculty mentors, and One from a person who can speak to your professional pursuits)
5. A current resume that includes your contact information, education, paid and unpaid work/internship experience, volunteer experience, and other associations/honors/extracurriculars.
6. A personal statement (not more than 3 pages) which outlines your reasons for going in to the health profession you are studying.
7. A separate statement (not more than 2 pages) which outlines your commitment to practicing in Appalachia upon completion of your professional studies.
CEDIK Appalachian Health Graduate Fellowship Committee
c/o Sarah Bowker
419 C.E. Barnhart Building
Lexington, KY 40546‐0276
The fellowship committee will consider all complete, on-time application packets and send out award notices around May 15th, 2023*. It is anticipated that 7 fellowships will be awarded.
^For the purposes of this application, we are using the Appalachian Regional Commission's definition of Appalachia, which can be found here.
*Note: No calls or emails, please. All applicants will be informed by email once fellowships have been successfully awarded.